Festive foodI hope that you all are having a couple of chilled days with a lot of yummy food and treatsMy current favourite is this gingerbread cake with saffron cream cheese toppingIt’s just so Christmassy and super yummyRecipe can be found below and is originally from cookiesandsweetsbysimona who can be found on Instagram and on her own blog.
Gingerbread spice ingredients:
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground carnation
Mix them all together.
1 1/2 dl of granulated sugar
100 g of melted chocolate, light or dark
1 dl of oil
1 1/2 dl of soured milk
3 dl of wheat flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
1 tablespoon of the gingerbread spice mentioned above.
Cream cheese topping:
300 g of cream cheese
100 g of salted room heated butter
2 dl of icing sugar
0.5 g saffron + 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar + 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
Decorate with sugar covered lingonberries, crushed meringues and green twigs.
1. Put the oven at 175 degrees Celsius.
2. Butter a round mold that holds approximately 1.5 liters and is about 20 cm in diameter.
3. Whisk the eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla sugar until it becomes fluffy.
4. Mix the soured milk with oil.
5. Mix all dry ingredients together.
6. Whisk the oil and soured milk liquid, the melted chocolate into the egg mixture. After that put in all of the dry ingredients mentioned in nr 5.
7. Pour the batter into the mold and bake it in the middle of the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
8. Let it cool in the mold before taking it out and letting it cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese topping:
9. Mix saffron with granulated sugar and lemon juice and allow the flavours to dissolve for at least 5 minutes.
10. Whisk the butter white and fluffy.
11. Whisk the cream cheese and mix it with the butter.
12. During continued whisking, pour in the icing sugar, about 1/2 dl at a time.
13. Lastly, add the saffron mixture.
Divide the cooled cake into two equal parts.
14. Spread or pipe the cream in between the cake and on the top. Make sure that the cake is completely cooled before doing this.
15. Decorate with sugar covered lingonberry, crushed meringues and fresh twigs (maybe from your Christmas tree hehe)
16. Store cold for serving. I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe, make sure to tag me if you recreate it! Lots of love and Merry Christmas