Everyone loves a good spin on Mexican food, right?
Well, I'm glad you agree, because tonight, on the menu, we have tacos! Roasted coconut cauliflower tacos. I got this recipe from Nancy Montuori and I am so happy with how these turned out!
For this recipe, you will need:Crispy cauliflower:
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup of unflavoured, unsweetened plant milk (for this recipe I used unflavoured almond)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Light Sprinkling of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tortillas
- Optional toppings - sliced avocado, jalapeno peppers, shredded red cabbage & salsa
Sweet mustard sauce:
- 1/8 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the plant milk, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl whisk together the breadcrumbs, shredded coconut, paprika, cumin, turmeric, salt, cayenne if using and some fresh ground black pepper.
- Take a cauliflower floret and place it in the plant milk mixture, flipping it over to make sure all sides are covered.
- Next, place that piece of cauliflower in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it down and flipping it over to make sure it's coated evenly on both sides.
- Transfer the breaded piece of cauliflower to the lined baking sheet. Repeat with all remaining florets of cauliflower.
- Bake the breaded cauliflower for approximately 30 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them the last ten minutes so they don't burn.
- Serve on a warm tortilla smeared with sweet mustard sauce. Toppings can include avocado, purple cabbage, sliced jalapeño and salsa.
- For the Sweet Mustard Sauce, whisk together all the ingredients.