The hot hair trend of the moment is corkscrew curls, a 1980s retro throwback that has been taking the ‘gram by storm! According to Elle Magazine, the perm is definitely making a return, and the tighter your locks, the tighter your look.
Not only are curls great for evening glam, but they can also be styled for the daytime too. With many hair and beauty bloggers religiously searching for the best sleep-in ‘overnight curls’ solution so they can get the look from the moment they wake up, ready for work, school or college. Whilst this hairstyle is great for the summer months (roll on SS18), it’s also a fabulous way of injecting a bit of life to dull winter hair.
Here’s a quick and easy guide to help you achieve beautiful corkscrew curls...
What You Need:
This look is super easy to create but it can be time-consuming, so make sure you have plenty of time to get ready before attempting this style. In order to get maximum volume, we recommend getting some hair extensions to add a few more layers to your natural hair.
- Good quality clip-in hair extensions
- A paddle hairbrush
- A comb
- Thin barrelled curling iron
- Hair clips
Watch the Video Tutorial:
Here is a step by step hair tutorial to help you achieve tight curl perfection with minimal effort. If you’re planning a big night out, you may want to make sure your makeup is already done. Depending on how much hair you / how many extensions you use, this could take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes.
From this video, you will notice that the process can take a lot of time and patience (and a lot of repetition). But practice makes perfect and the more you do this hairstyle, the easier it will get.
Top tip for beginners: For this particular look, it’s easier to clip in hair extensions as you go, clipping and curling a layer at a time rather than all in one go. Whilst other styles can be achieved by fixing extensions in first, this needs to be done in stages for manageability.
1. Clip the top half of your hair and work from the neck up. Add your first weft of extensions then brush through with your natural hair.
2. Heat up your wand and start curling small sections (about the same size as the wand). The best curling technique is to wrap the hair behind the wand and away from your face, with the wand pointing downwards. Hold for a second and then let go.
3. Curl all sections of hair on both sides and you should be left with your bottom layer of curls. Do not brush, but unclip the next layer of hair and start adding in your next weft of extensions.
4. Repeat this process until you have curled the rest of your hair. Once done, take a large paddle brush and brush through your curls to add natural volume.
5. For the perfect voluminous finish, you can use a backcombing brush to create texture near your roots. Finish with hairspray!