I believe everyone has their own opinion about what happiness is and about what makes them happy. For me, happiness is not about money nor expensive things, it's not branded outfits, it's not about expensive lifestyle. For me, happiness is a feeling that simply comes from within. Feeling content is a natural feeling that flows from your heart and mind. But is it really that simple to be happy? My answer is, no. To feel happy with myself, I even stop relying on my partner's.
Being happy need your own will. You need to make yourself happy in your own way. Happiness is not dependent on external things, but it's a choice you make every moment. To be happy or let external things ruin your happiness.
We can't avoid external things to not affecting our feeling, such as how other people treat us, what people say about us, or how people behave towards us. We can't tell people to always be nice to us. But we can control our response to every situation.
My key to happiness is MAKE MYSELF HAPPY. And this leads me into actions, doing things that make me happy with my life, things that cheer me up:
- Listening to my favourite cheerful music (At the moment, WILD the band's music makes me feel alive and happy).
- Reading romantic or adventurous novels.
- Writing (like writing on this blog and also my own novels).
- Make things, like... cookies? Well, it usually end up not so good, I'm a terrible chef at home. :D
- Dressed up, put some makeup. I love makeup!
- Talking to old friends that I haven't seen for a long time.
- Learning new things like learning new languages or new drawing/painting technique (curiosity somehow makes me feel alive and happy)
- Going to the plant shop and buying some new plants (Plants strangely make me happier).
- A break from social media. Some quiet time with ourself is needed to contemplate and relax.
- Singing and dancing with my favourite music (For this time, I love Kygo's summer mix playlist).
- Aromatheraphy sticks. I love the smell of jasmine and other flowers. Somehow it makes me feel better in hard days.
I believe you have your own version of what makes yourself happy, like dancing in the rain maybe? I would love to read yours, maybe it could inspire me too. ;)