Unfortunately all good things come to an end. This trip was definitely a solid 5/5. It was my third so called business trip, and got to say I both saw and learned a lot. As the jetlag is now hitting it's peak, I decided to finish blogging about this trip with some useful tips for others traveling to San Francisco!
San Francisco was very versatile and full of life. I definitely enjoyed the 'typical American features' such as big cars, breathe taking places (as you see from pictures above, pretty damn amazing), of course American fast-food chains was a bonus as well as the shopping and store offerings. San Francisco's biggest benefit was that it is definitely a city with a soul. As all houses reach maximum height of three floors with colorful painting and somewhat personal exterior gave a very sympathetic image to the city. There were of course some skyscrapers in addition. One of the best things was seeing plenty of areas with different features; Chinatown, downtown, Fisherman’s Wharf, Alcatraz and the heights around the Golden Gate. This city surpriced me positively.
NOTE: Finnair will start next summer flying straight from Helsinki to SFO!!! GO GO GO
Finally, I wanted to list some easily accessible pros and cons as well as some tips for you.
PROS AND CONS:
+ Versatile city, a lot to see
+ Good shopping, large variety of stores
- Bad neighborhoods in the city center
- Somewhat expensive
- A lot of scamming (fake ESTAs online, fake tickets, different prices, no chip readers)
- First things first do NOT buy your ESTA from a fake site, you will find the government site from e.g. Finnairs websites and in that way directed to the actual application
- Choose the location of accommodation carefully, it will have a huge impact on your trip (North Beach recommended)
- Change some cash for you on before-hand e.g. parking, bars and some shops do not take cards
- Best shopping around Market Street (shops such as Nordenstroms, Bloomingberg, Forever21 and Target may be found here)
- Visit Alcatraz! Remember to check ticket availability on beforehand, but be careful if booking online due to that many fake websites will be found. We bought our tickets straight from the Pier where the boat departures
- Take time when going to see the Golden Gate bridge, it is truly marvelous