Tis the season for grilling and eating food sandwiched between a bun. For those looking for a veggie friendly BBQ option, these burgers are perfect! I was tired of eating dry and salty pre-made frozen veggie burgers from the store. This recipe is flavorful and moist (not like chewing cardboard). If you try the recipe, please let me know!! Enjoy!!
- 1 large sweet potato (remove skin and mash)
-2/3 cup of black beans
-3/4 cup of cooked quinoa
-1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup walnuts
-1 1/2 table spoons nutrition yeast
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 375. Poke a few holes in your sweet potato with a fork, then microwave on high for 5-7 minutes. While the sweet potato is microwaving, cook your quinoa.
2. Add your black beans to a mixing bowl. Using a fork, roughly mash the beans so that some are still whole. Then scoop the filling out of your sweet potato, mash until smooth and then add it to your beans. When quinoa is done cooking add to the beans and sweet potato. Stir to combine.
3. In a food processor, pulse walnuts till they are a fine meal. If you do not have a food processor you can chop the walnuts extra fine (WATCH YOUR FINGERS PLEASE!). Add the walnuts to the burger mixture, along with the chopped green onion.
4. Add the spices to the burger mixture and stir until evenly combined.
5. Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop mixture. Form into burger patty and then place on a greased pan. The thinner you shape the patties, the faster they cook. Bake time can vary from 30-40 minutes depending on thickness of the patties. Flip the burgers half way through so each side crisps evenly. Avoid over cooking because it dries out the burgers, nobody wants a dry veggie burger.