What up everyone. We all have heard that collagen is good for our skin and it keeps us young looking, but it also is great for our body as well.
Collagen is a fibre protein which contains the amino acids; Glycine, proline, arginine, alanine and glutamic acid. 30% of our bodies protein contains of collagen and plays an important part for elastic skin, muscles, ligament and cartilage. Only 20% is determined by our genes and 80% are lifestyle choices when it comes to our ageing. Choices that are bad for our bodies collagen production are:
1. Too much sun, the sun is good for us in small doses to get some vitamin-D but tanning on the other hand, makes us age faster because it breaks down the collagen in our skin.
2. Smoking, breaks down our collagen as well.
3. Coffee/ caffeine, no news there.
4. Stress & lack of sleep.
6. White flour.
Our bodies produce collagen on their own but in order to boost it we need to eat it too.
Collagen+hyaluronic acid (HA)+zink+protein+copper+vitaminC+omega3= elastic skin, muscles, ligament and cartilage.
High in proteins:
- Chicken, beef, turkey, fish, game, bison, eggs, pinto beans, kidney beans, black beans, peanuts, chickpeas, pumpkinseeds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.
High in vitamin-C:
- Strawberries, orange, grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, blackberries, blueberries, plums, figs and papaya.
High in vitamin-K:
- Red bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, beetroots, aubergine, cauliflower.
High in hyaluronic acid:
- Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, corn, tofu, tempeh, soy sauce, konnyaku/shirataki noodles and chicken skin ( but if you dare, chicken feet, it is high in HA 😝).
A very unique quality HA has is that it can make gel out of water. Only one gram of HA can make gel out of over five litres of water. HA helps with synovial fluids around our ligaments because it is a water carrier for all our cells. So when you eat food that contains HA, drink lots of water.
Peace & love