Did you know that 40% of the world’s land surface is usedfor the purpose of feeding all 7 billion of us? And did you know that 30% ofthe world’s total ice- free surface is used not to raise grains, fruits andvegetables that are directly fed to human beings, but to support the chickens,pigs and cattle that we eventually eat. You may think you live on a planet, but in reality you live on a gigantic farm.
Livestock production contributes to 40% of globalagricultural gross domestic product, which provides income for more than 1.3billion people and uses one-third of the world’s fresh water. There may not beanother human activity that has a bigger impact on the planet.
Some facts about meat and the environment:
- 51% or more of global greenhouse-gas emission is caused by animal agriculture, according to a report published by theWorldwatch Institute
- 2,400 gallons of water are used to produce 1pound of beef, whilst 1 pound of tofu requires 244 gallons of water
- By going vegan/plant based/ vegetarian, oneperson can approximately save 219,000 gallons of water a year.
- ·It takes almost 20 times less land to feedsomeone on a plant-based diet than it does to feed a meat-eater since the cropsare consumed directly instead of being used to feed animals.
- It takes 10 pounds of grain to produce just 1pound of meat
- In the US alone 56 million acres are used togrow feed for animals, while only 4 million acres to produce plants for humansto eat.
If you are interested and want to read more information on this important matter, please go on Peta’s official site, or search “meat industry and pollution” on google. You will not regret it.