The most frequent question I get from people about my internship is: at what company will you be doing your internship? Well that is not yet 100% but world internships has now sent me information about two different places/positions that they are working on. One is a company within the cobalt industry and the other offers security systems/products etc. Either way I am excited to be at any place there, I want to learn and grow. I guess it will all sort out within these last 2 months here in Finland.
Regarding housing I sent in, a couple of weeks ago, preferences where I want to stay. I choose an option suited for me. I asked for living the first 2 months with a family. That includes water and electricity and they will cook for me 2 times a day! So excited to be integrated into the Canadian culture again! Then after that time I will have to find a living on my own, but I guess the people I will be living with can give me advice on where to/not to live in Vancouver. I am thinking about moving into a apartment with other students, but I guess I will see how things turn out. After the internship I am planning on finding a job in Canada, if it is in Vancouver or elsewhere that is up to the future. Also regarding the housing I got to choose if I want to live with pets, children, close to city or close to internship, so World Interships feels like they have the most under control, and I know this time will be amazing!
How am I otherwise coping with life then? Well this week we have our own (SSHV) Grand annual ball week. Lots of events and the weekend will be the final big thing that we arrange, before it is time to give over to the new student board. Otherwise I am counting down the days, well I get it if some people get annoyed with me complaining like 24/7 about Finland, but I started to to search for answers, because I still dislike being here. And the problem started after my study abroad, I just cant cope with being here, when I know how my life used to be, it just feels like life can't be as great as it was, it is just semi over here, one day to another, and that I just accept that it will be semi ok over here (for me), but no I am going to change this! One year here was enough!
Talking about Post Study abroad depression I found a list at:
- Spending unusual amounts of time searching for opportunities to move or travel abroad long term.
- Talking constantly about your time abroad.
- Comparing everything to your travels or the foreign country where you studied abroad.
- Criticizing the way things are done and home and others for being "close-minded."
- Loss of attention towards things you used to enjoy, like going to coffee shops with friends, sports and more.
- Not wanting to get to know new people at home or be involved in non-work or school activities.
- Rapid weight gain or loss.
- Fear to leave your house, because you don't feel like you fit in anymore.
- Feelings of withdrawal from all things study abroad.
- Feeling “stuck” or worried that you’ll never have the chance to travel abroad again.
I would say 8/10 of these applies to me. I wish school would have supported more and talked more about that these things can happen afterwards. According to the site the cure fore this is: If you are spending a lot of time looking into travel or opportunities abroad, be proactive and actually make that happen.
Well that is what I am doing, 68 days left.