If you have already made your decision about surgery, I have some tips about what you should think about:
1. Be aware about that there will be pain, and that there´s nothing you can do about it. Prepare yourself mentally for it and talk to someone if that helps you.
2. Talk about your feelings that you have about the whole thing, you can be scared, happy, anxious or whatever else! Tell a friend, a parent or anyone else. It can be helpful to express your emotions about a surgery, it´s not a small decision you have taken.
3. Exercise before the surgery! Build up a good condition and train the muscles in your back, it can help to make it easier to recover afterwords.
4. Pack clothes which are easy to take on and of, you wouldn´t want to wear jeans and if you are a girl, leave the bra at home! Sweatpants and cozy, BIG T-shirts is the way to go! Don´t forget to pack sturdy shoes which are easy to take on, for practicality when you have to practise on your walking.
5. BRAID LONG HAIR, seriously, it took half a conditioner bottle to make my hair look normal after I had been unable to brush it for 10 days.
6. Remember yourself on why you are doing it, try to keep a positive during the whole experience but allow yourself to have moodswings as well, it is okay and everyone will understand why you have them.
7. Allow the healing to take it´s time. Some heal quickly, others need more time. Whatever you do, don´t rush it! If you rush it the chance of complications increases, listen to your body, especially when it says no.
8. Do not, under any circumstanses watch a youtube video where they show what a scoliosis surgery looks like! It will just freak you out, watch it afterwards instead if your are interested.
9. For parents; Your child will be fine, it will be horrible to see them suffer with the pain but try to keep yourself together in front of them. It won´t help you and it certainly won´t help them, seeing you freaking out. Be calm, talk to someone you too, it will be alright!