So far all we've talked about is what we've done during the day and about our eating habits as vegans, so we might as well tell you about the reason why and when this decision was made. Why not do a vegan-tag? Here we go!
1. What’s your name? And how do you like people to call you?
- Our names are Diana and Melanie, but we go by Dia and Mel.
2. How long have you been vegan?
- We made the decision at the beginning of september this year, after watching a documentary on Netflix, "Cowspiracy", and a speech about veganism by Gary Yourofsky on Youtube. You can watch it here.
3. Why did you go vegan?
- Our roommate Sophie has been a vegan for over a year and has made us watch documentaries, but the speech by Gary Yourofsky really got to us and we had no doubts about becoming a vegan after that.
4. How do you define your meal plan?
- We've made a "foodschedule" together with Sophie, so we have a meal plan for each week. It's a better way for us to make sure that we're only buying food that we need instead of just going to the store and spending money on things that we THINK that we need.
5. Is it hard to be vegan?
- It's not as hard as we thought it would be, because of all the facts that are discussed in Yourofsky's speech. The only hard part is when we're going out to eat and they don't have many dairy- and meatfree options. It's obviously harder to find a vegan place. For me (Melanie), it's been hard to give up Swedish cheese and Philadelphia, mostly because I haven't been able to find replacements that I like. A lot of people say that it's too expensive to be vegan, but that is nothing but a lame fucking excuse and also a lie.
6. How do you obtain protein?
- There's protein in a lot of vegetables, like broccoli, spinach and artichoke. We just have to eat more or bigger meals than usual to obtain the normal amount of protein for us. We use beans, quorn and tofu as protein sources as well. We're still trying to get used to all of it and also bought a vegan cookbook which has made things easier for us as well. It takes time to adapt, but it's worth it.
7. Do you eat fish?
- No, we don't.
8. What does your family and friends think about you being vegan?
- For both of us, our parents were first worried about us not getting the nutritions etc that we need. But we solved that problem.
9. Do you miss any animal product?
- We wouldn't really say "miss". We wish we enjoyed vegan cheese and Philadelphia, but sadly we don't. It's all still worth it though so we don't really care about that. Vegan butter is great. Dia misses eggs as well.
10. Is it expensive to be vegan?
- No. No. No. NO. Veganism is CHEAP, you guys. "I could never go vegan. It's too expensive!". Seriously? What we eat, such as beans rice and veggies, are some of the cheapest and healthiest things you can eat. What non-vegans eat, such as meat and dairy-products, that's what's expensive.
11. Do you enjoy veganism?
- We do. This is no lie, we actually do feel healthier. You really notice the difference when you stop eating meat and dairy as your body just changes. Both physically, mentally.
More similar posts will appear soon, we're just too lazy haha
Over and out,
Dia & Mel