Welcome to our first recipe! We thought it would be a good idea to start with well...The starter, so we made these super delicious deep fried chicking balls! This recipe is made to serve 8 people, but you can reduce it by half, to serve for 4, like we did
Recipe For the sweet and sour sauce:
1⁄2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1⁄3 cup white vinegar
1⁄2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup white sugar (can reduce 2-3 tablespoons for a less sweet taste)
3⁄4 cup cold water (or can use unsweetened pineapple juice or half each, I prefer the pineapple juice)
3 tablespoons cornstarch (for a thinner sauce reduce to 2 tablespoons, if you want a very thick sauce use 4 tablespoons)
Recipe for the chicken ball batter:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (garlic lovers add 1 teaspoon)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1⁄3 cups cold water (if you are reducing to half a recipe use 1/2 cup plus 2-1/2 tablespoons water)
1 -2 teaspoon sesame oil (optional but good to add)
oil (for frying)
8 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
seasoning salt (optional)
Sweet and sour sauce
1. To make the sweet and sour sauce; in a saucepan combine the first 5 ingredients until combined.
2. In a cup or bowl whisk the cold water or pineapple juice with cornstarch until smooth and well blended
3. Whisk vigorously into the ketchup mixture
4. Bring the mixture to a boil stirring or whisking constantly over medium-high heat until bubbly.
5. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue simmering and mixing until thickened (The sauce can take a few tries to do. Our failed a bit too, so do not be worried)
6. Remove from heat and allow to sit at room temperature while making the chicken balls.
7. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
8. In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, garlic powder.
9. Add in water and sesame oil.
10. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
11. Add the chicken pieces to the white mixture. Make sure to coat them well.
12. Heat oil in a deep-fryer.
13. Carefully dip the battered chicken pieces in hot oil and fry until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes).
14. Remove to a paper towel.
15. Sprinkle with seasoning salt immediately after frying if desired.
16. Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce.