When one or more parties get into a dispute and seek money damage or specific performance and not criminal sanctions, it is called a civil litigation. If this happens, both the parties go to a courtroom for trial. Civil litigation attorney is appointed by both the parties and a judge decides which party is legally right.
A civil litigation attorney not only represents his clients in the trial proceedings but also helps them in the arbitration or mediation process. An arbitration process is an attempt to save the time and expense of the client of going to a court.
Civil litigation is a collective term that covers a variety of disputes and following is a list of a few of them:
- Employment and Labor disputes
- Contract disputes
- Dispute arising from legal malpractice
- Construction and repair related disputes
- Dispute arising from monopolistic policies
- Environmental dispute resolution
- Zoning and land use disputes
- Landlord/Tenant disputes
The role of a civil litigation attorney
The role of a civil lawyer is diverse and challenging. They need to understand the case from the perspective of their party as well as that of their opposition. They need to be well versed with the laws and must have the knowledge of important landmark decisions which can be used for citation purpose.Following are the essential skills required in a civil litigation attorney:
- Knowledge of the procedures for filing and defending a civil litigation
- Good oral and written advocacy skills
- Reasoning and analytic skills
- Ability to comprehend large complex data
- Knowledge of legal techniques and negotiation skills
Stern Law firm is a reputed name as a successful Rockland County civil litigation attorney. You should always hire a civil litigation attorney very wisely and carefully after thoroughly examining how good he/she is.