I owe my life to A after what happened yesterday. I was asleep and she woke me up saying "sorry to wake you up, but there's smoke everywhere in the apartment". I just thought "what?" and got out of bed. I opened the door into the kitchen and the air was horrible. Felt like someone had smoked 10.000 cigarettes inside, all at once. No smoke came into our rooms though because of doors. We tried to locate where it came from and I thought immediately that it was the oven, but it wasn't even on and nothing was in there. I checked at least five times to really see that it didn't come from there.
We were both confused and tried to call the owner's name several times, no answer. We finally decided to go upstairs and it was even worse up there. You could barely breath and it hurt so much in my throat just being up there. We had to hold our noses not to get dangerous smoke inside us. We opened the owner's door to his room and we saw smoke coming from the bed. "Fuck!", I thought and woke up his son in the room next door... He went into his father's room and picked up his blanket that (by this time) was burning and put it in the shower and filled it with water.
The fire came from the owner's ashtray in his bed, and it spread to the whole bed and even more with the wind as the window in the room was open and also the door to the balcony. No fire alarm had went off since there was only one downstairs and smoke goes upwards. "Where's the fire extinguisher?", A said. "We don't have one", J responded. That's when I dialled 911 in panic. The firemen came within two minutes and we hurried out of the apartment. We ended up in the hospital to check for smoke inhalation/poisoning. The last thing I saw in the apartment was absolutely black smoke coming out.
Luckily we're all good and all our stuff downstairs as well, but currently homeless. We're sorting it out and it will be fine, but I don't think I've ever been this chocked. If A had not come home, I wouldn't be writing this in this very moment. I'm not mad or anything on how it happened, I'm just glad to be alive. Of course, it's extremely irresponsible to smoke inside and even more in the bed, as three people could have died - including the son of the owner. But again, I'm just glad to be alive ❤
There's an article about it here: Brand på Frederiksberg. It's all in Danish but I'm sure you can google translate it if you don't understand.